- Join a walking group in the neighborhood or at the local shopping mall. Recruit a partner for support and encouragement.
- Push the baby in a stroller.
- Get the whole family involved — enjoy an afternoon bike ride with your kids.
- Walk up and down the soccer or softball field sidelines while watching the kids play.
- Walk the dog — don't just watch the dog walk.
- Clean the house or wash the car.
- Walk, skate, or cycle more, and drive less.
- Do stretches, exercises, or pedal a stationary bike while watching television.
- Mow the lawn with a push mower.
- Plant and care for a vegetable or flower garden.
- Play with the kids — tumble in the leaves, build a snowman, splash in a puddle, or dance to favorite music.
- Exercise to a workout video.
- Get off the bus or subway one stop early and walk or skate the rest of the way.
- Replace a coffee break with a brisk 10-minute walk. Ask a friend to go with you.
- Take part in an exercise program at work or a nearby gym.
- Join the office softball team or walking group.
- Walk, jog, skate, or cycle.
- Swim or do water aerobics.
- Take a class in martial arts, dance, or yoga.
- Golf (pull cart or carry clubs).
- Canoe, row, or kayak.
- Play racquetball, tennis, or squash.
- Ski cross-country or downhill.
- Play basketball, softball, or soccer.
- Hand cycle or play wheelchair sports.
- Take a nature walk.
- Most important — have fun while being active!
Crunchy Chicken Salad
2 cups cooked chicken (chunked)
1/2 cup celery
1/4 cup green pepper
1/2 cup grape
1 apple (small, diced, leave the peel on)
1/4 cup yogurt, plain
1. Use leftover cooked chicken, or cook enough chicken to make 2 cups of chicken pieces.
2. Chop the celery into small pieces.
3. Chop the green pepper into small pieces.
4. Peel and chop 1/4 of an onion.
5. Peel and chop half of a cucumber.
6. Chop the apple into pieces. It’s okay to leave the peel on the apple.
7. Cut the grapes in half.
8. Put all the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together.
9. Serve on lettuce, crackers, or bread.