Organic is defined by the United States Department of Agriculture as “a labeling term that indicates that the food or other agricultural product has been produced through approved methods that integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation, and genetic engineering may not be used.”
According to the American Cancer Society, "At this time, no research exists to demonstrate whether organic foods are more effective in reducing cancer risk than are similar foods produced by other farming methods.”
While research does not support a link to cancer, it is a fact that there are higher levels of pesticides and chemicals in produce that is not organically produced. If you’re wanting to minimize these things in your diet but don’t know where to start I like to recommend taking the Dirty Dozen, Clean Fifteen list with you to the market. The Dirty Dozen are the fruits and veggies with the highest levels of pesticides; therefore, you may want to choose these items as your organic purchases.
Spaghetti Squash with Ground Turkey
Recipe Provided by Lilly Novak
- 1 large spaghetti squash cut in half, seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (1 Tbsp to coat squash, 1 Tbsp to cook turkey)
- Salt/ Pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (or fresh herbs of your preference)
- 1 jar Spaghetti sauce or 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cut squash in half
- Brush each half with canola oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper (if desired)
- Place cut side down on baking sheet or pan
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Let cool, then scrape with fork to make spaghetti strands
- While spaghetti squash bakes prepare ground turkey
- Heat oil in medium/large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned (about 10 min)
- Add canned tomato/spaghetti sauce.
- Simmer until spaghetti squash is ready.
- Once the spaghetti squash is scraped and ready to be served, top with serving of ground turkey sauce.
- Optional: Top with 1-2 Tbsp of feta cheese crumbles or shredded parmesan cheese.