Finding the perfect gift can be fun yet exhausting, especially when you have a long list of friends, co-workers, teachers, etc. who you want to give a little something to. While many companies offer baskets and delivery of food items, it’s always nice to receive a homemade treat. If the idea of more brownies, cookies, or loafs seems too sugar-laden, consider this easy, healthy and delicious Quinoa Brittle. It works well as a treat on its own, or crumbled over yogurt or oatmeal, and more than likely it will be something new for your crowd. Possibly even a crowd pleaser. Let us know if you try it out!
- ½ cup uncooked white quinoa
- ¾ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp sugar of your choice
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, ensuring it covers the entire surface and all the edges.
- Add quinoa, pepitas, oats, chia seeds, sugar, and salt to a mixing bowl – stir to combine.
- Melt coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl, about 30 seconds at 70%, then mix maple syrup into coconut oil to combine.
- Pour coconut oil & maple syrup mix over the dry ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine and coat. Pour mixture onto parchment-lined baking sheet and spread into an even layer with a metal spoon. Try to get it as even as possible, or the edges will burn and the center won’t be crisp.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the pan around to ensure even browning. Bake 5 – 10 minutes more and watch carefully so it doesn’t burn. Remove from oven and let cool completely on baking sheet before breaking into bite-sized pieces with your fingers.
- Once cooled completely, store in a sealed bag or container at room temperature for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month. This makes an excellent topping for yogurt or cereal or as a sweet treat.