Are you looking to prepare a romantic and delicious meal to make for Valentine’s Day that won’t ruin your healthy eating plan? Here it is!!!
It you want to dine out, you can go to a steak house and essentially have this same meal. One of you order the filet, one of you order the seafood, and share. You can ask for steamed veggies on the side instead of fries. Another way to save on calories and carbs is to “just say no” to the bread that comes out first. The meal portions at a steak house will probably be larger than the recipe below, so take some home for lunch the next day.
Surf and Turf
The idea is for the romantic couple to share one delicious, lean steak and pair it with some low calorie succulent shrimp, making this meal reasonable for the calorie budget yet still very special. Some healthy yet delicious side dishes could be steamed asparagus and half of a baked sweet potato.
And for dessert? Dark chocolate dipped strawberries!
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 pound large shrimp
2 limes, cut into wedges
2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
1. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, brown sugar, garlic, and sesame oil in large bowl.
2. Peel and devein shrimp, tails can be left on. Mix shrimp in marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
3. Preheat grill or broiler. Thread shrimp and lime wedges onto 8 skewers, dividing evenly.
4. Place skewers on grill or about 4 inches under broiler, turning once during cooking, for about 5-6 minutes or until shrimp are bright pink.
- 6 ounce filet mignon (one steak, to share)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Sprinkle filet with salt and pepper on both sides. Rub seasoning into meat with your fingers.
2. Melt butter with olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add filet and cook 5-7 minutes on each side.
3. Remove from heat, cover filets with foil and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Steam in steamer basket for about 5 minutes or until cooked to texture of preference. Other option is to drizzle with olive oil and dash of salt, and bake at 400°F until slightly browned (5-10 minutes).
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. With a fork, pierce sweet potato skin 5-6 times.
3. Place on baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.