A Healthy Holiday Breakfast
From your Henry Mayo Nutritionist: Liz Tarabour, MS, RDN:
One of my favorite Christmas traditions is having hot, breakfast casserole after opening presents on Christmas morning. When I was a teenager, I took this on as my contribution to the workload of the day. I mixed the ingredients the night before and just popped it in the oven Christmas morning before opening presents. Out came hot, bubbling, deliciousness, ready-to-eat when we were done tearing open packages. Back then I used a lot of sausage and tons of cheese, making it a real gut buster. I trim it down a bit now, and find that it is just as tasty, and maybe even better. And I don’t feel sick 30 minutes after eating it from all of that fat!
Holiday Egg Bake
- 1 ½ cups cubed ham (or slices deli style if that is what you have)
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup crushed saltines (6-8 crackers)
- ½ cup shredded Swiss or Cheddar cheese
- 1 can (7 ounce) green chilis, chopped (or fresh jalapenos, quantity to taste)
- ¼ cup diced onions
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Transfer to baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Don’t add salt! It is salty enough with the ham, saltines, cheese, and canned peppers.
- I found whole-wheat saltines and they tasted great!