Four Simple Steps to a Healthy Breakfast
Calories are important: Aim to get between 350 and 500 calories. Keep around 350 if trying to lose weight.
Make sure to get some protein: A breakfast with 15 to 25 grams (30 for larger man) of protein can help with appetite control between breakfast and lunch, so that snacking doesn’t ruin your calorie budget.
Quit the Sugary Drinks: Coffee drinks (lattes, mochas, frappuccinos, etc) from coffeehouses, sodas, smoothies, juice, energy drinks, etc. are often packed with added sugars. This can cause weight gain, insulin spikes, cravings, and increased appetite.
Choose plain yogurt over flavored yogurt. It’s always best to add your own fruit and healthful goodies. The pre-flavored ones tend to have large amounts of added sugars. Greek yogurt has the added benefit of extra protein. Again, plain is best.
Simple Healthy Breakfast Ideas:
- Cottage Cheese with Fruit and Toast
- 2 Eggs with Avocados Whole Wheat Toast
- Chia Pudding (there are hundreds of recipes online)
- Overnight Oats with fresh fruit
- Parfait (plain greek yogurt, fresh fruit, granola)
- Peanut Butter Toast
- Spinach and Mushroom Egg White Scramble and Whole Wheat Toast
- Sweet Potato and Eggs
Strawberry Infused Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cashews (less for fewer calories)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 packet stevia (or 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener of choice), optional
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (any variety)
- Toppings: blueberries, goji berries & almonds
Add top 4 ingredients into a blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. This is the strawberry infusion.
Place quinoa in a bowl, pour strawberry infusion over quinoa and sprinkle on toppings.
Enjoy immediately with a warm cup of tea or coffee!
Total Fat 19g
Saturated Fat 3g
Dietary Fiber 9g