As we get further into spring, lots of wonderful vegetables come into season. Spring is the high point for asparagus, a versatile and nutritious veggie.
We eat the tender tips of asparagus shoots, the pretty feathery end. Asparagus needs to be eaten within a day or two of purchase otherwise it develops a woody texture. Look for bright green, thinner asparagus to know you will have a tasty veggie with your meal.
Asparagus is a great source of fiber, a variety of B vitamins, and vitamin K, among other unique amino acids and sulfur compounds. Try grilling it, poaching for a bright and crunchy treat, or my recipe for quiche below which includes sautéed asparagus.
Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche
- 1 premade frozen pie crust
- I encourage making fresh crust, but I don’t always have time. So a frozen crust will do the job when you want this delicious vegetarian main dish.
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed, dried, and cut in thirds, with tough ends removed
- 6-8 mushrooms, washed, dried and sliced
- Any type will work but if smaller size, add more
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 eggs, 2 you will only use the egg whites
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Mexican or Italian blend can be substituted
- 1 cup low fat milk
- You can use any type of cows milk but since the pie crust and cheese contain fat, I use lowfat or non-fat in this recipe.
- 2 teaspoons chopped, fresh herbs- dill, thyme, basil, cilantro, all of these work well
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Follow pie crust instructions. Some need to defrost others can be used frozen.
- Sauté shallot in one tablespoon of olive oil. Once browning, add asparagus. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add additional tablespoon of olive oil along with garlic and mushrooms. Sauté it all until cooked through, but still a bit firm, about 3 minutes.
- As veggies are finishing, crack two eggs, and 2 egg whites into a mixing bowl. Whisk. Add milk and cheese. Whisk a bit more to combine. Pour veggie mix into egg mix. Sprinkle in fresh herbs.
- Pour combined mix into pie crust. Bake on wire oven rack for 22-25 minutes, check after 20 minutes and look for a golden brown color across the entire quiche.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice in eighths. Enjoy with a mixed green salad!